Children younger than six travel for free with De Lijn.
Children aged 6 to 11 can travel together with a pass holder aged 12 or older (maximum four
children per pass holder). Passengers younger than 12 must be accompanied by the person older than 12 throughout the entire journey. For example, those under 12 cannot board earlier.
Children aged 6 to 11 can obtain a free
based on a valid 'Large Family' reduction card. This Buzzy Pazz expires at the latest the day before their 12th birthday.
If you are 65 or older then you will receive a free Omnipas 65+
If you remove a vehicle from traffic by turning in your number plate at the DIV (Vehicle Registration Department), you can request a free
(Exchange Number Plate for Pass Department) from De Lijn.
Many cities and municipalities, employers or other third payers pay part or all of the transportation costs of their inhabitants, passengers on their territory or employees. The discounts or free passes under the are awarded automatically. Beneficiaries ride for free under three systems:
- free pass for certain age categories
- free public transport within the municipality
- company pass
There are also three systems whereby beneficiaries ride at reduced fares .
The free pass for war invalids is available for:
- war invalids in possession of a 75% reduction card with the code 30, 31, 32, 50, 51 and 52
- war veterans in possession of a 75% or 50% reduction card
- equivalent persons with a legal right to enjoy reductions
The reduction cards are issued by:
- FOD Public Health, Food Safety and the Environment (previous Ministry of Public Health)
- FOD Finances (previous Ministry of Finances)
The free passes are issued by the NMBS and are valid on all public transport networks in Belgium except the MIVB, which issues its own pass.
You have the right to a free Buzzy Pazz or Omnipas if you:
You will automatically receive your pass in the mail based on the data in the Social Security Database.
You are entitled to a free pass but did not receive one yet? Please contact the Subscription Service of De Lijn.
Pass is lost or stolen?
If you lose your pass or it is stolen, you can obtain a copy upon paying a 10 euro administrative fee. Contact the Subscription Service of De Lijn or go to a Lijnwinkel. You can request an unlimited number of copies.
Less mobile or a wheelchair user?
Are you less mobile or a wheelchair user? You can use our .
An escort card is a free pass that a person with a handicap can request for the person that escorts him or her on the bus or tram.
The escort card is always issued in the name of the person with the handicap and not in the name of the escort.
The escort only travels for free if he or she is travelling together with the person with a handicap.
The escort card is issued to people with a handicap that live in the Flemish Region, the Brussels Capital Region or in the municipalities of Edingen, Komen, Moeskroen or Vloesberg and that satisfy one of the following conditions:
- Visually handicapped for more than 75%.
- Handicapped in the upper limbs for more than 75%.
- Handicapped in the lower limbs for more than 50%.
- Mentally handicapped for at least 66%.
- Have a reduced ability to cope of at least 12 points, which corresponds with an inaptitude of at least 80%.
- When submitting the request, war invalids or war victims must be able to present a 75% reduction card that mentions 'escort allowed'.
- Requests by polio and sensomotor handicapped persons are investigated on an individual basis.
How to request one?
To request an escort card, you must contact De Lijn's Subscription Service .
Please note: in the province of Limburg you must request the card from the social department. You can contact this department on the number 011 85 02 78.
The card is issued based on an attestation from the Federal Government Service Social Security which verifies that the terms and conditions for awarding the card have been satisfied.
Mentally handicapped can request this card based on:
- an attestation from the Flemish Agency for People with a Handicap (type: ZORG)
- or an attestation from the Federal Government Service Social Affairs combined with an attestation from a physician-specialist (not a GP) that clearly states that the mental handicap condition has been satisfied.
Period of Validity
The escort card is valid for two years.
How to get an extension?
The escort card is extended automatically once the period of validity has expired and
- if there is no final date on the attestation that was initially used to request the escort card
- or if the final date has not been exceeded as mentioned on the attestation that was initially used to request the escort card
People with a visual handicap can ride for free with De Lijn upon showing their 'National reduction card for public transport'. Their guide-dog can also travel for free. The card is blue with a white image of a blind person with a walking stick.
You can request a national reduction card using a special form from the Federal Government Service Social Security at the following address:
Federal Government Service Social Security
Administrative Centre Kruidtuin
Kruidtuinlaan 50, box 1
You can obtain the request form from your town hall.
Members of the integrated police departments can ride with De Lijn for free upon showing their official police card.
The official police card is ochre coloured. The official card of auxiliary agents is blue. The agent's job is stated on the back of the card in the three national languages. The official police card displays the photo of the bearer.
Bearers of a national recognition statute travel on public transport for free. De Lijn requires such people to have a free ticket. You can only acquire this ticket from the NMBS and it is called a “Card for Patriotic Reasons”.
Journalists receive a free annual pass. They only have to attach a copy of their ID card and a copy of their valid press card to the request. There are different types of press cards:
- For journalists of the general press: blue national press card with a valid validation emblem.
- For journalists of the periodical press: green national press card.
- For apprentice journalists: an apprentice card from AVBB/VVJ
- For professional journalist apprentices: an apprentice press card
Job seekers that have a vocational training contract with the VDAB can request a free pass via their VDAB supervisor. Depending on the length of the training, this pass is issued for 1, 3 or 12 months.