How can I avoid a fine for fare dodging?
- If you have purchased a ticket in presale, you must immediately insert it in the yellow ticket validating machine when you get on. If you fail to do so, the ticket is invalid. Keep the ticket for the entire trip so that you can present it in the case of an inspection.
- If you do not have a ticket yet, you can buy an SMS ticket with your mobile. An SMS ticket is a valid ticket for your journey with the bus or tram. It is valid for 60 minutes depending on your request. When you get on, you must show your SMS ticket to the driver.
You can buy an SMS ticket by texting DL to 4884.
- If you do not have a ticket, then you must buy a ticket from the driver. The driver will validate the ticket for you. It will cost at least 20% more than tickets purchased in advance. You must be able to show this ticket to the ticket inspectors.
- If you use a named ticket (for instance a travel pass), you must always be able to present it in the case of an inspection. You must also be able to prove your identity.
- If you travel with a reduced fare ticket (e.g. Lijn card %) then you must be able to show your ticket, proof of identity and your reduced fare pass.
- You can even travel if you do not have any money with you. You then ask the driver to apply the ‘passenger without money'’ procedure. In that case you must pay the journey price plus administration costs (the price of a day pass) within 14 days. The driver will give you a bank transfer form. If you do not pay on time you will be fined.
- It may be that you do not have exact change or that the driver can't give any change. You cannot pay the driver with a note larger than a 10-euro note or with a note that is larger than two times the amount that you must pay. If you cannot pay the exact amount, ask the driver to apply the "passenger without exact money" procedure. In that case you must pay the journey price within 14 days. The driver will give you a bank transfer form. If you do not pay on time you will be fined.